I’ll be honest, I was never a huge dessert person. Don’t get me wrong – there were certain times in my life (depending on my mood) that I could easily take down an entire package of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, a whole carton of Oreos or a pint of Ben & Jerry’s Karmelsutra. You know what I’m talking about…. a break-up, a make up, “that” time of the month, a random Wednesday…… the joy’s of womanhood!
Though I have not been a big dessert fan lately, I have been missing the option lately. So I decided to make my own dessert! Last night, I made Gluten Free Paleo Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies. Today, I revised the recipe to include protein powder because why not enjoy a dessert while also getting in some protein? Just sayin….
So here is what I learned while making cookies today.
When baking cookies with protein powder, SPACE THEM FAR APART! Because if you space them like this…
Then you will end up with this…..
I used the same recipe last night without the protein powder and the cookies turned out fluffy and thick. Adding the protein powder made them a bit flatter which will cause them to run together if you don’t space them far enough apart. Still delicious, none the less.
Chocolate Chip Paleo Protein Cookies
What you need
1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
2 ¼ cups almond flour (3 ¼ cups if not using protein powder)
1 cup vanilla protein powder (I used Carnivore – beef based protein)
1 tsp baking soda
½ tbs vanilla extract
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
2 eggs, whisked
½ cup raw honey
½ cup melted coconut oil
What to do
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine dry ingredients, mix well (minus the chocolate chips, add those last)
- Combine wet ingredients and whisk until well mixed
- Pour wet ingredients into bowl containing dry ingredients
- Add in chocolate chips and mix well
- Refrigerate the dough for about 15 minutes
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Align cookies in small balls on the cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart (I had to do three batches)
- Cook at 350 for about 8 minutes (until golden brown)
- Let cool and try not to eat them all in one sitting (good luck….)
(And if you don’t do protein powder, just sub in another cup of almond flour in place of the protein powder.)
These cookies will be thin and flat, crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside and taste just right!
We are now officially obsessed. Oops….